Author Topic: After 2 years of buying hostbill still can't trust to use it  (Read 1466 times)

Offline beautiful

After 2 years of buying hostbill still can't trust to use it
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
2 years passed from buying hostbill , Have lost so much trust that I just can't use it. :(
probably I'd better wait for some time more and just sell it ::)

Offline ProfFrnswrth

Re: After 2 years of buying hostbill still can't trust to use it
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:16 PM »
There are a lot of flaw in HostBill's business as far as pricing goes and individual cost behind themes/modules/etc. The only nice thing I think is the weekly updates. A lot of billing systems only update there software every few months or so, so that is a plus. But the pricing? Not very good

Offline sagelike

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Why can't you trust it?

Offline Ketan

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:51:09 AM »
Why can't you trust it?

Quietly changing the license to prevent 3rd party module use, discontinuing updates to older license holders.
Offering a complete version one day, removing it the next.
Offering a free version one day, removing it the next.
Changing the money back guarantee from 30 to 60 to 30 to 7 to 30 days in the space of a month
Taking the price down for different versions and only offering a "Request Quote" option, to then take it down then put it back up
Charging for Pre Sales
Making Pre Sales free and offering a phone number, only to take it down again.

And that's just off the top of my head. Their actions are not those of a rational business owner.

Offline Enterprisevpssolutions

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
    • Skype - enterprisevpssolutions
    • Enterprise Vps Solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:18 AM »
+1 Agreed
Enterprise Vps Solutions (VPS) - Cloud Solutions, Shared hosting, VPS , and more, Fast Dedicated Servers. Great ssl prices SSL Certs, Follow us on Twitter. Sales Question? Contact us! Send us a Request Tampa , Florida Hivelocity Datacenter

Offline nibb

• Active Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
Yes we all know this, but then again lets also see the positive things.

Price is good, at least it was for me. And the new license model seems also good. It has a good entry price, and excellent package for those with more needs, and has a modular system where you buy only what you need. It also seems finally he found a way to combine "owned no recurring fees" with some updates (lite, modules) in some version and plus support means he will get a regular income to maintain the business and income flow.

This does not justify everything you said, you are correct on what you posted. He will have years to earn trust back, because it takes just a couple of months to destroy all your reputation. It will not be easy, maybe he will provide support in the future, I don´t know. But lets see the positives things now:

1. The website is finally clear on features.
2. The pricing model finally makes sense and will work in my opinion
3. The software has regular updates, I use hostbill for over a year now and never the updates stopped. I can´t say the same about other softwares.
4. The software has new features developed all the time, even if they are extra modules, they are there in case you want to use them.
5. Price is cheap. He could charge allot more if he had good reputation, support, etc, but he doesn't and he would still sell.
6. Bugs are fixed, we even have a bug reporting and tracking tool now, finally.

In general lets be honest. The price is good and the software has more features than competitors.

About bugs, all software have bugs. Every single software I used in years have bugs. The difference is that some do fix bugs and some do not fix them in years. Hostbill has a proper record track so far. The only problem he has, is that he does not seem to do proper testing when adding more features, so when he adds more features he introduces a new bug that was not there before. If you check the bugs they are always new ones, not old ones. Lets be glad he does fix the most critical ones before, in particular those that affect functionality in a big way or are security holes.

I realized that one way to avoid is, in my case is I don´t upgrade on each new release, I wait. So if a bug is there that will affect me I don´t upgrade. Also, he seems to have changed now the updates to Thursday instead of Friday. Finally he realized that Fridays is bad, as if you have a critical bug you will have to wait until Monday at least, and I guess he is gone on weekends, so Thursday is way better.

Support? I used the support 3 times I think, it was not great, but I got a reply eventually after 24 hours. This is no way to defend what happen in the past. I don´t. I don´t want to be flamed for that either. I agree with you, but are we talking about the software or the developer? Because we all agree on the opinions on the person behind it, but if we talk just about the software I think its pretty decent. When it works, it works great and gets the job done. When it doesn't, well, just pray it gets fixed, since you have no way to get support of contact him unless you pay.

My biggest concern was he would not have a steady flow of income and eventually that would hurt all of us, no more features, no more bugs fixed, etc, and without money the software would eventually die forcing all of us to make a forced migration. But I was looking now the page and the new model and license finally makes sense and means he will also have a constant flow of income from users with upgrades and support. This makes me feel a bit better, since we know that if he is not making money, he will not keep up with the software.

The biggest problem would be customer care and support. If he fixes that point in the future, which he never did so far, he will slowly gain trust back. Slow of course, probably very slow.

Offline sagelike

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the replies though I still have one question.

One a scale of 1-10, how would you all rate the quality of the software?

Offline SystemN

• Active Participant
    • Skype - sysbitnet
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 03:06:38 AM »
Thanks for all the replies though I still have one question.

One a scale of 1-10, how would you all rate the quality of the software?

If you want something to change your the better, start you thinking about how to do it . . .

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »

Used it awhile, I'd say far higher then a 2.  It's so far the better software out of all available.  For admin and client, it's all round more fluid.  Bugs aside and I've been very critical of Hostbill, WHMCS as an example has had a massive share of serious bugs, all of them being massively critical.  Hostbill at it's core, quality wise is quite extensive.  The major issue is the wizard behind the curtains. 
Patrick - Forum Rules
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein