Author Topic: Supplied TLD is incorrect  (Read 13358 times)

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
Supplied TLD is incorrect
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:47:40 AM »
His Lawrence,

I have a question regarding:
... I've got I think last time I checked 192 domain extensions...

How did you overcome the "Supplied TLD is incorrect" issue?
Kris has expanded the ccTLD support drastically since I bought the license, however, this issue does block many of the ccTLDs we need for an African site we're building right now, so we're using WHMCS.  Obviously I'd rather be using HostBill, but this issue is critical.

What should happen IMO is the pop-down that says something like: "The registry isn't automatic so we can't confirm the availability right now, but will attempt to register the domain for you." and then provides the customer the option of registering the domain.

I get Kris is trying to keep things as automatic as possible for us, but sometimes that isn't an option.  I also get that most of us aren't interested in manual domain registration, but again, sometimes it is not optional.

In the old forums when I asked this someone said it could be turned off, but I cannot find that option.  Any hind you could offer would be appreciated.

Topic split and moved to General Forums - Lawrence
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:18:35 AM by Lawrence »
"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions"
Charles Proteus Steinmetz

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
Re: Supplied TLD is incorrect
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:17:57 AM »
I'm not actually sure myself. If you'd like, have a look here to see which domains are giving you the issue.

- lawrencewright.co/clients/checkdomain/register-domain/ [not hyperlinked]

I suppose I've just been very lucky.

[edit]

Sorry about the multiple edits on your post, I was testing a topic split + move. :) Changes are available in your topic's change history.
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »
Thanks for moving the post to a new thread Lawrence.  I was afraid it would disappear into oblivion where it was.

As for the issue.  Thanks for the link to your site; I was curious which TLDs you had working, however the problem is present on your site.

Search for: "anydomain" .bz or .com.cm

And you get the mysterious drop-down: "Supplied TLD is incorrect"

The problem is present for the following TLDs (effects SLDs as well): .ad, .ao, .ar, .bd, .bh, .bo, .bs, .bw, .bz, .cm, .cr, .cu, .cv, .dj, .gf, .gp, .gt, .iq, .jo, .kw, .ke, .kn, .kw, .lb, .lk, .sx... (...more to come; I'll edit the post when I have time to check more tlds).

The problem effects domain name searches 2 ways:
Bulk Domain Check: The "problem" TLD is ignored in the results.
Single Domain Check: You get the error "Supplied TLD is incorrect"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:09:59 AM by thetrusteeco »

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:27 AM »
I believe this issue is caused by HostBill not having any WHOIS database info to query, and failing to an error code.

I asked KBKP to replace the error code, and allow the customer to place the order without confirmation that the domain is available.  Some ccTLDs don't even have working WHOIS databases to query, therefore as is HostBill can never be used for those TLDs.

I also brings up the related perpetual "Not Available" issue, where the WHOIS database info encrypted into HostBill is out of date.
Currently this issue is affecting the following TLDs:
.af, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .lc, .ms, .tc (if I find more I'll add to the list)

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
Hmm... That is bad in my case. Thanks for letting me know, I haven't fully tested all my domains because the current domain system is rather confusing. I am looking forward to future domain fixes. My apathy in the domain system caused me to not troubleshoot this particular issue any further.

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:44 PM »
I actually like the way HostBill handles domains.  It is confusing at first, but, once you get used to it, it's back-end is quite brilliant.

Unlike other Billing systems I've tried, in HostBill you can allow your customer send API commands directly to the registrar via the additional fields.  Some ccTLDs have specific requirements to register or transfer domains, and in other systems I've used that translates as manual registrations, regardless of how complete the registrar's API is.

Over all I'd give HostBill's handling of Domains at about 8/10.  The WHOIS issue will push me onto another platform if it isn't fixed, even if I have to occasionally do things manually.  There is also the issue of HostBill allow customer's to renew expired domains.  That needs to get fixed.

Anyway, if anyone has figured out how to bypass either of these 2 issues (Supplied TLD is incorrect & Not Available), let us know.

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
I couldn't edit the post above, so I'm going repost the perpetual "Not Available" list, (where the WHOIS database info encrypted into HostBill is out of date.) adding .vg

Currently this issue is affecting the following TLDs:
.af, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .lc, .ms, .tc, .vg

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »
I couldn't edit the post above, so I'm adding .cx, .sl, and .za (org.za, nom.za)

The perpetual "Not Available" issue is affecting the following TLDs:
.af, .cx, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .lc, .ms, .tc, .vg, .za (org.za, nom.za)

The "Supplied TLD is incorrect" problem is affecting the following TLDs:
.ad, .ao, .ar, .bd, .bh, .bo, .bs, .bw, .bz, .cm, .cr, .cu, .cv, .dj, .gf, .gp, .gt, .iq, .jo, .kw, .ke, .kn, .kw, .lb, .lk, .sl, .sx
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:44:39 AM by thetrusteeco »

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
Wow list is bigger than I had hoped for. In a sense some users will be stunted with domain growth for this. Is there an active bug for this reported?

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:01:08 AM »
Honestly I've been too busy to check if there is one in the new bug tracker.  There certainly was one opened using whatever system KBKP used to use (via ticket).

When I opened the thread I was hoping I had something set wrong in HostBill.  When I saw your site was the same I figured it was actually a bug.  However, I figured I would finish the list before I opened a bug report, at this point I see this thread more as an FYI.

Also, I'm not sure if it is actually a bug.  The "Not Available" list should be treated as a bug, but the "Supplied TLD is incorrect" is a list of domains that HostBill has never supported.  Is that a bug or a wishlist?

IMO if the domains registry system isn't completely reworked in the next few months, HostBill will not be able to handle the New TLDs that are coming.  Is that a bug, or an observation?

I had a few minutes today so I checked a few more tlds.  If anyone else notices any, feel free to add to the list.  I'm only checking the tlds I'd be selling in Hostbill suported them, not all tlds.

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
Adding .cd to perpetual "Not Available"; I'm sure it was working about a week ago, to the WHOIS DB must have just changed.

.af, .cd, .cx, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .lc, .ms, .tc, .vg, .za (org.za, nom.za)

.ad, .ao, .ar, .bd, .bh, .bo, .bs, .bw, .bz, .cm, .cr, .cu, .cv, .dj, .gf, .gp, .gt, .iq, .jo, .kw, .ke, .kn, .kw, .lb, .lk, .sl, .sx

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
Adding .cl to perpetual "Not Available"; I know it was working about a week ago, so the WHOIS database must have just changed.

.af, .cd, .cl, .cx, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .lc, .ms, .tc, .vg, .za (org.za, nom.za)

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
Good news and bad news.  .cl is working again, it must have been a maintenance issue at the NIC, however .ac, .io, and .sh have stopped working, and as far as I can tell, the NIC is not preforming maintenance.  So, removing .cl, and adding .ac, .io, and .sh to perpetual "Not Available" list.

.ac, af, .cd, .cx, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .io, .lc, .ms, .sh, .tc, .vg, .za (org.za, nom.za)

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 12:08:56 AM »
Okay, I had some time to look through help.hostbillapp.com, and there doesn't seem to be anything there about this issue.

I opened a ticket:
https://help.hostbillapp.com/index.php?/bugtracker/bug/&id=199

If any of the above missing ccTLDs impact your business, please click on the link and vote for the bug.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:39:18 AM by thetrusteeco »

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »
Adding .mn, .ph, .tl, and .tm to perpetual "Not Available" list, and .pk and .vn to the "Supplied TLD is incorrect" list.

.ac, .af, .cd, .cx, .ec, .gd, .gs, .gy, .hn, .ht, .io, .lc, .mn, .ms, .ph, .sh, .tc, .tl, .tm, .vg, .za (org.za, nom.za)

.ad, .ao, .ar, .bd, .bh, .bo, .bs, .bw, .bz, .cm, .cr, .cu, .cv, .dj, .gf, .gp, .gt, .iq, .jo, .kw, .ke, .kn, .kw, .lb, .lk, .pk, .sl, .sx, .vn
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:36:31 PM by thetrusteeco »