Author Topic: [Suggestion] A kudos +1 type activity  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
[Suggestion] A kudos +1 type activity
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:12:31 PM »
As many users around here including myself i've found it to be very rewarding helping people.  Most forums have a "Give Kudos" or "+1" or "Give thanks" button. 

I believe SMF has a few mods on their site for these but it's up to you Lawrence to decide on it and install it :)  I know a few different mods are for the older SMF versions, so i'm not sure if you'll have any luck finding one for this version or not.  Anyhow, i figure it's a good way to say thank you to users and show on their posts how many times they've been thanked.

Cheers
Patrick - Forum Rules
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
Re: [Suggestion] A kudos +1 type activity
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
I've actually disabled the kudos / karma thread to create a neutral environment among peers. It is rewarding, but I didn't feel was necessary, and could create an environment of favoritism. Anyone else care to throw in some words of wisdom?
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
I've actually disabled the kudos / karma thread to create a neutral environment among peers. It is rewarding, but I didn't feel was necessary, and could create an environment of favoritism. Anyone else care to throw in some words of wisdom?

I've never seen it abused in the past.   I think it's something worth experimenting with.  Someone posts something great like i've seen a few times already or helping guides giving thanks is just a nice high five.
Patrick - Forum Rules
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
Worth looking into. I think it's best to wait it off until / if we get 100+ members. Anyone else care to comment on this?

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
  • Manager Network Services
    • Skype - tallship
    • Business Internet and Telephony since 1985.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
Yes I have a take on that. I used to think that the idea was a good one, but then people starting putting into their sigs saying, "If I helped you give me a point." or something like that. And then the rewards system for people with a bunch of those.

However, if you take a look over at LQ They have a "Reputation" system. That's not really much different, I realize this, but it does allow the reader to send a note as to what it was they found so useful to the poster (left side of graphic in attached photo).

On the bottom right, there's a question (I think this also adds to the user's rep, although we might not want to tally reputations per se') that asks, "did you find this post useful?" That's on the bottom right of the attached graphic.

Another thing I personally like, on the bottom left hand side of the graphic, is the reporting of what OS and distro the poster is running. It sort of says, "Are you talking the talk w/o walking the walk? i.e., someone running Windows 7 while purporting to be running ewboontew is funny to see, and common, while in the Slackware forums, most people's useragents actually report that they are indeed running Slackware Linux (coz we're hard core slackers and don't do windows? LOL).

Anyway, whichever way you want to go on it Lawrence, but the notion of people being able to click if a post was found helpful would be nice, irrespective of whether it added to someone's rep, IMNSHO ;)

kindest regards,
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
Yeah i've seen people do that on forums and i hate that.  Feel like you're begging me to give you a cookie.  If i feel like it's worth thanking you, i'll do it lol.  I've only considered this now because so far there have been a select few posts that deserve a good ole Kudos and giving an explanation is very important.
Patrick - Forum Rules

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
Still thinking of a proper way to implement this type of feature... Thanks for posts / thanks directly to the poster, feedback, reputation, so many options. Not sure if a direct +1 feature or "Good job" would suffice. Everything should be labeled with a reason proving reputation.

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
Still thinking of a proper way to implement this type of feature... Thanks for posts / thanks directly to the poster, feedback, reputation, so many options. Not sure if a direct +1 feature or "Good job" would suffice. Everything should be labeled with a reason proving reputation.

Go on over to broadbandreports.com (dslreports.com) and see how their kudos system works.  It's flawless, never abused and works very well.
Patrick - Forum Rules

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
    • Skype - tallship
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »
Just a little note here. For me, personally, I make my own determination as to the worth of a forum member. I typically read posts and eventually develop an impression of how I rate their worth all on my own.

But especially when viewing long threads, old threads, when I find them via searches, etc., (I'm speaking of my experiences over at LQ), there's usually a lot of hyperbole from people posting superflous (I'm guilty there too), or just plain wrong advice.

So while scanning  through the thread for any given topic, I keep an eye out for, "# Users found this post useful"
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Offline UCG_Keith

• Active Participant
    • Secure - Compliant Cloud Host & Data Center
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »
So while scanning  through the thread for any given topic, I keep an eye out for, "# Users found this post useful"

I also look at posts that have had other finding it helpful or useful. Especially if the thread was from a search. It would be a good way to just say "thank you" or "I like the post".

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
How's everyone feel about this one?
- custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3029

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »
Seems nice, lacks description or anything but i like it.  I'm not picky and i'm agreeable.
Patrick - Forum Rules

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
    • Skype - tallship
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »
Oh it even shows who actually liked the posts too. That's neat.

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 02:06:30 AM »
Bad news, the module isn't compatible with this forum version. (I have the latest version) - Oh well! Time to keep searching. :)

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
Bad news, the module isn't compatible with this forum version. (I have the latest version) - Oh well! Time to keep searching. :)

I'm guessing this theme or you removed the SMF version from the footer seeing as the footer tag is empty, i was looking for that when you showed the link but forgot to ask lol.  There are A LOT of old addons that won't work anymore, so i wish you like :)
Patrick - Forum Rules