Author Topic: How to autocreate DNS zones on PowerDNS without hosting?  (Read 73 times)

Offline telehost

• FYI URL shorter
How to autocreate DNS zones on PowerDNS without hosting?
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:18:57 AM »
Hi there. We have successfully integrated a domain registrar and PowerDNS app in hostbill.

But I find no way to autocreate zones on PowerDNS when a new domain is registrated or transferred to us. Also I did not find a howto in hostbill-doc or forum, so I decided to open this thread.

I would be very glad if anybody can tell me how to autocreate DNS zones with PowerDNS for new and transferred domains (and delete zones on NS when a domain is canceled or transferred away).

Looking forward for your info.

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
Re: How to autocreate DNS zones on PowerDNS without hosting?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
Hello Telehost,

Please send over some information about your HostBill install.

First, are you using the HostBill PowerDNS module or something custom? If you're using the one by HostBill, are you using the latest version, or the older version from before they've broken up all modules into individual scripts you have to buy?

Secondly, are you familiar with HostBill hooks? I'm not sure how up to date this is, but this might be the right place to look if you're looking to automate something custom. When certain events occur in HostBill, you can create a function to run a script (e.g. when domain is registered, add to PowerDNS or when a cancellation request is put in, remove DNS entries from PowerDNS).

Hope this information helps.
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline telehost

• FYI URL shorter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.

Yep, I am using Hostbill PowerDNS module with 5 PowerDNS servers. 1st as Master, 4 as Slave with auto replication from Master.

I am using latest version. The last PowerDNS fix which was released by Hostbill about 2 weeks ago for PowerDNS was initiated by me - now it can connect to PDNS 4.

But I simply did not understand why it not creates zones, even when I set it up in General settings to create Zones when order is placed (before payment, because some registrars needs working DNS for completing registration). Maybe it´s a little trigger in settings I simply did not found. I have used WHMCS with Modulsgarden modules before, but I decided, that WHMCS is only usable when you use about 2 or 3 modules. When you need dozens of modules from external developers each time they update the core a few modules will work, others not, some later - it´s simply horrible. After investing 10 years in WHMCS I now switched to Hostbill.

Offline Factor

• Active Participant
  • Welcome to reality wish you could stay longer..
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:35:16 PM »

Found this today...

[DomainDNS] Fixed: Zone is not created if related domain NS are not EXACTLY the same as in DNS package.
https://hostbillapp.com/release-notes/03-11-2019.html
Thanks,
The Factor