Author Topic: Allow clients to edit hostname possible ?  (Read 74 times)

Offline andika

• Active Participant
Allow clients to edit hostname possible ?
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:42:45 AM »
Hello,

Is it possible to allow clients to edit hostname ?

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
  • Manager Network Services
    • Skype - tallship
    • Business Internet and Telephony since 1985.
Re: Allow clients to edit hostname possible ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:31 PM »
It's always possible for the customer to change their hostname. Depending on their distro chosen, there's a few files they need to edit, such as illustrated in the following link:https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-change-hostname/
There are a couple of other files that need to be edited as well, depending on any running services, etc., and they need to check /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts too, maybe a few more which will become apparent too, but check /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/HOSTNAME or /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname if using mutt and on debian you can do a dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config if you're running exim and there will be similar tasks they'll need to address if using Postfix or Sendmail as their email server.
They may also need to make changes in their zonefiles and/or /etc/named.conf if running BIND.
I hope that helps! Lemme know how it goes okay?

m
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Offline andika

• Active Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 04:18:04 AM »
It's always possible for the customer to change their hostname. Depending on their distro chosen, there's a few files they need to edit, such as illustrated in the following link:https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-change-hostname/
There are a couple of other files that need to be edited as well, depending on any running services, etc., and they need to check /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts too, maybe a few more which will become apparent too, but check /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/HOSTNAME or /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname if using mutt and on debian you can do a dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config if you're running exim and there will be similar tasks they'll need to address if using Postfix or Sendmail as their email server.
They may also need to make changes in their zonefiles and/or /etc/named.conf if running BIND.
I hope that helps! Lemme know how it goes okay?

Sorry for the confusion, what I was asking is if its possible for hostbill client to change hostname on client area side not on VPS distro. I have resellers often asking us to change hostname based on the client request so he can recognize clients by hostname.

I would also need my clients to be able to split invoice by them self, they keep asking us to split invoices which takes us plenty of time, is that possible ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:34:09 AM by andika »

Offline andika

• Active Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:30:31 AM »
So it can be done ?

Offline d4f

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
Hostbill supports "tags" in the clientarea for services. This is sort of a custom name the customer can change to identify services. Changing the hostname is not a supported feature however with some programming skills you could add a custom widget which modifies the database entry.

I would also need my clients to be able to split invoice by them self,
If you customers prefer the invoices split, I would recommend disabling "merge invoices" in hostbill.

Offline andika

• Active Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 02:04:39 AM »
Hostbill supports "tags" in the clientarea for services. This is sort of a custom name the customer can change to identify services. Changing the hostname is not a supported feature however with some programming skills you could add a custom widget which modifies the database entry.
If you customers prefer the invoices split, I would recommend disabling "merge invoices" in hostbill.

Thank you