Author Topic: Man did we get flooded last night  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
Man did we get flooded last night
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
As many know i'm out in Toronto (suburbs in Mississauga) as are a few other of you here.  Last night we were hammered with a huge storm.  No hurricaine just a bad storm.  The worst in the GTA's history.  Take a look at some of the photos.  http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/07/massive_rain_storm_hits_toronto_causing_flooding_and_power_outages/  ....we had no power for about 15 hours, lost a ton of food, was a very wild night for simple rainfall

50-60mm of rain dropped in 1 hour.  We had over 100mm of rain total over a 8 hour period.  Homes, property, trains, everything destroyed.  Luckily, not as bad as Calgary as they were hit hard but these changing times and weird weather sure leave me thinking about how drastic our weather is changing each year
Patrick - Forum Rules
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
  • Manager Network Services
    • Skype - tallship
    • Business Internet and Telephony since 1985.
Re: Man did we get flooded last night
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »
Here in SoCal, when it rains, the news programs dominate and monopolize the programming on the local affiliiate stations all day long with headlines like "StormWatch 2013!", and silly crap like that. It's almost the only thing you can get on T.V. and yet it's only sprinkling outside.

Sure, there's a ton of accidents because as everyone knows, native Southern Californians really don't know how to drive in the rain, coz it hardly ever does, and they go coo coo for coconuts on streets and highways that have a nice, this layer of oil built up from lack of a good rain to wash it away.

When those storms are really horrific, someone has to actually pick up a few palm fronds out of the middle of the street and toss them over to the curb the next day.

Compared to entire trailer parks disappearing in Oklahoma, and wide swaths of land obliterated for miles in Florida from average everyday hurricanes, or even those miniature ice ages every year in Minnesota, there's just no comparison at all and I really wonder how we survive here sometimes without our avocado tofu sandwiches.

I hope all is well with you and yours Patrick.

Kindest regards,
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Offline Enterprisevpssolutions

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
    • Skype - enterprisevpssolutions
    • Enterprise Vps Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
We are located in Tampa, Florida I know how your feeling and send my regards to everyone that has lost something because we do not know how to control our resource usage. Big oil controls everyone that uses electricity,gas,cars so on and so on... We have the technology to leave our old fuel sources and oil behind which anyone knows who took science class keeps the friction between tectonic plates smooth and not to mention the pollution that all of this is having on our environment that not only we are growing up in but our children. I could go on forever on subjects like this and many more I have said my part. Best regards to you and everyone you know Patrick.
Enterprise Vps Solutions (VPS) - Cloud Solutions, Shared hosting, VPS , and more, Fast Dedicated Servers. Great ssl prices SSL Certs, Follow us on Twitter. Sales Question? Contact us! Send us a Request Tampa , Florida Hivelocity Datacenter

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »
Is it just in Canada where it's raining everywhere?  Seriously, Canada is freaking huge, and everyone I know is getting dumped on.  I mean, you expect rain on the coasts, and flooding in Winnipeg, but Calgary and Toronto?  Its rained almost everyday in Edmonton for almost a month, and this city is usually hot and dry all summer.
"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions"
Charles Proteus Steinmetz