Author Topic: Introduce yourselves!  (Read 4824 times)

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
  • Manager Network Services
    • Skype - tallship
    • Business Internet and Telephony since 1985.
Re: Introduce yourselves!
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »
Good day gents!

I have been a Hostbill user since March 2013. Woah, what a bumpy ride! Just when once thinks things have settled down, things go all topsy-turvy.

I'll make an official post, but I'm asking all the forum members to band together an tweet something to HB so that they start to take notice.

Well it often makes me feel better, coming here to post or read up on the lamenting of the uninitiated. But you already know that nothing you do will have a positive affect - I read a couple of your other posts and... "On what planet should a customer be expected to *pay* for a bug to get fixed?"

That's just plain wrong - if there's a bug in your closed source software there are certain merchantabilities involved.

Anyway, you know how it goes here, and just as an observation, I checked every link in the user profiles of those who posted in this thread - none of those links resolved to an instance of HostBill - ubersmith, OnApp, WHMCS, and one URL leads to an under construction page that promised to be live last year lolz.

Although I believe that Larry still runs a HostBill instance, He's got that tucked away, so it's not really clear to me if he's actively promoting it.

In short, Wherever I look here on the forums... Pretty much no one's running HostBill - except for new licensees, and even then, not for long lolz.

I've got one tucked away myself, but there's no fricken' way that I would entrust the intellectual property of ANY of my clients to it. Maybe if Kris sells it to fusionhost it will become a viable platform.
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Offline d4f

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
In short, Wherever I look here on the forums... Pretty much no one's running HostBill - except for new licensees
Some, like me, may be only technicians or administrators and not the company owners. I do not want to associate my employer with my personal opinions and comments regarding ... err "code quality"  ;D
Be assured that I do suffer daily doses of Hostbill in productive environmets. It's better than the previous AWBS solution at least in _some_ regards though.

That's just plain wrong - if there's a bug in your closed source software there are certain merchantabilities involved.
That's not necessarily true. Some bugs during certain timeframes and depending on the licensee may be well covered under national or european regulations regarding warranty and product "fitness" or even false advertisement in case of non-working/outdated components. But yeah, most of us old license-owners are pretty much held ransom.

I did a migration AWBS->Hostbill a few years back and trust me, I don't want a repeat of that unless I absolutely have to. The sad truth is that all billing softwares for online and offline usage have gaping problems, missing features or bad support. At least Hostbill is still getting regular updates for now...

Offline tallship

• Active Participant
  • Manager Network Services
    • Skype - tallship
    • Business Internet and Telephony since 1985.
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong  8) I still hold out hope that someone like FusionHost will eventually purchase the project from Kris and create a new and trusted custodianship, as I still keep a running install doing virtually nothing but being a beta testbed - it just got to the point a few years back where the massive breakages were causing extreme stress to the point where I threw my hands up and migrated all of the accounts over to various other (viable) solutions.

One can hope.
Bradley D. Thornton - Manager Network Services, NorthTech Computer   TEL: +1.310.388.9469 (US) | +44.203.318.2755 (UK) | +61.390.088.072 (AU) | +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
Registered Linux User #190795 - "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.