Author Topic: Is this easy to understand for the average Joe?  (Read 732 times)

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
Is this easy to understand for the average Joe?
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:26:46 AM »
I'm re-doing my entire knowledgebase and I'd like some feedback on how some of my articles look, and if they're easily understandable. The following article tells someone how to transfer away from Godaddy. I will be writing up an article for 20+ registrars.

- lawrencewright.co/clients/knowledgebase/article/92/transferring-from-godaddy/

Does it need more information? Did I leave anything out? Is the formatting good? I'm using bold to emphasize actions / clicks / focus and I will be using italics to focus on quotes (Such as output of software / messages).

Grade me, score 1-10. The objective here is to keep everything as easy and short as possible.
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline thetrusteeco

• Active Participant
    • The Trustee Co.
Re: Is this easy to understand for the average Joe?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »
It looks clear enough to me, although I haven't used GoDaddy for over 5 years so I don't know if it's factually correct. I assume it is.

The only sentence that caught me was: You can find this by clicking My Account to be taken to your account's dashboard.

I think you got an grammatical error in that. 

Might I suggest: To find this, click on My Account and you'll be taken to your dash-bard.

Regarding your use of strong fonts, it makes it look very clear to me.  If I were forced to complain about something, it's that you made it too simple.  Do you need to tell people to Login in the Login Box using their Login Name and Password?  Again, if you really want criticism, think about that last sentence, otherwise it looks great as is.

I'd give it a 9/10 assuming it's factually correct.
"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions"
Charles Proteus Steinmetz

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
That sentence you pointed out, that one I was debating about when I first submitted this piece. I think I'll change it.

Thanks for the feedback! The goal is to keep it as simple as possible. Even if it's pointing out the obvious, it's best to point out the obvious for those that aren't aware of the obvious. :)
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline Patrick

• Active Participant
  • HBF Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
Hey Lawrence, it's probably because i'm picky but i like most of it but could i make a small decision?

--- Look for the Authorization Code text and have Godaddy email your Authorization Code to your email address.

I'd either remove text or word that to where the code may be located.
Patrick - Forum Rules
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein