Author Topic: Hostbill can check if PayPal account = client area account ?  (Read 984 times)

Offline andika

• Active Participant
Hostbill can check if PayPal account = client area account ?  I mean when the client pay we need to see if the client paypal account data (email, name, surname, country)  matches the client area account data because when they don't its most likely a fraud order with risk of paypal claim, chargeback. Is it possible to verify that and deny order or atleast get notified about it ?

Offline d4f

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
Re: Hostbill can check if PayPal account = client area account ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:47:55 AM »
The closest you can get is "Verify PayPal email" in the module settings but that's not exactly what you need.
If you don't already have, I would recommend enabling Maxmind fraud protection as that should give better protection than relying on the Paypal email address.

Offline andika

• Active Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:16:44 AM »
The closest you can get is "Verify PayPal email" in the module settings but that's not exactly what you need.
If you don't already have, I would recommend enabling Maxmind fraud protection as that should give better protection than relying on the Paypal email address.

Will that option verify if the client is paying using the account data email ? I have both MaxMind and Maxmind Phone type checker. What is the best setup for MaxMind ? How about Maxmind Phone type checker ? I just hope I don't lose any legit customers using fake phone numbers,etc.  Also is anyone using hostbill sms verification plugin ?   I have just a few clients ordering cheapest products and 2 months later the open paypal claim, as you may know PayPal doesn't give a dam about it and just refunded the clients whatever we say, maybe someone have the recipe how to convince paypal because anything I have tried failed ( client order screenshoot, client IP, client data, etc).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:25:22 AM by andika »

Offline d4f

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
What is the best setup for MaxMind ?
I'm sure the setup is not "best" but it has only let past a couple of problematic customers so far and each of them was only problematic in _what_ he does, not fraudulent payment. If you want to check the "what" too use FraudRecord (but not automatically, it will give too many false positives!)

I can share my current settings for Maxmind though:
- license: standard (configured/paid with Maxmind directly)
- don't verify returning (Disable if you have many customers who get their account hacked and then abused to order fraud sites)
- Don't verify admin order
- Auto-block fraudulent IP
- Reject anonymous proxy
- Maxmind fraud risk to accept: 40%

Other options like "high-risk countries" depends a lot on your business orientation. If you are oriented towards a national service, enable it unless you live in risky countries yourself. Otherwise leave disabled, if a region is considered high-risk it will increase the risk score anyway.

How about Maxmind Phone type checker ?
Every "hassle" you add to a customer will result in about 50% less convenience leads (from ads, search engines, ...). I'm not using it and running fine currently.

Also is anyone using hostbill sms verification plugin ?
See above - it's a hassle. I did use it in a different project a few years ago and it worked rather well if you use a reliable sms provider. BulkSMS standard route is good enough for such services in most countries, but the sms-loss of cheap ( 0.00X Cent/sms) providers such as Dellmont/Betamax is too high for such services.

Note that you can set MaxMInd risk even lower (e.g. 30%) and then manually verify each medium-risk case manually as you'll get a notification.

Offline andika

• Active Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 03:29:23 AM »
. If you want to check the "what" too use FraudRecord (but not automatically, it will give too many false positives!)

I have uploaded FraudRecord module files on my server as they were missing but though its showing the fraud status, the fraudmenu is missing from client account (it should be as the picture bellow).

What I did is to transfer the module folder 'fraudrecord' to /includes/modules/fraud location. As it failed I thought the admin folder files content should be present on admin/templates folder so I have pasted there too with no result.  Here is the plugin folder content :

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:36:44 AM by andika »

Offline d4f

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:02:17 AM »
As it failed I thought the admin folder files content should be present on admin/templates folder
No, they only need to be in the plugin directory. The file structure looks correct, but make sure the entire path is includes/modules/Fraud/fraudrecord/class.fraudrecord.php on the server. Not like most other modules includes/modules/Fraud/class.fraudrecord.php!
Did you make sure the plugin is enabled in the Hostbill settings and includes a valid Fraudrecord API key?
Check your browser's Debug/Inspect console to see if there are any network or console errors when accessing the client details. It works for me so at least in _general_ it should not be broken.

Also make sure you have the newest version. The module files are timestamped from the last update even though I don't  see any changelog relating to it, so it may be unchanged.