Author Topic: Hostbill no longer allows third-party extensions  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Lawrence

• Community Manager
  • Active Participant
    • Lawrence Wright
Re: Hostbill no longer allows third-party extensions
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »
It sounds like you haven't purchased the software [yet] @cblade, so just foshizzles and giggles, why don't you try posting a couple of questions in the pre-sales forums here and see what you reel in? ;)

Definitely would be beneficial to the community as a whole, and to potential customers. This forum scores #1 in serps for the term "HostBill Presales" - So for better or worse (Hopefully better), people can be informed of the benefits of HostBill. (Again, trying to be optimistic, which is healthy thinking.)
Skype: sociallarry | AIM: larry.aim@aim.com | Forum Rules & Information

These forums are hosted by me with no intentions to ever monetize them. These forums are here solely for the benfit of the HostBill community.

Offline Enterprisevpssolutions

• Community Managers
  • Active Participant
    • Skype - enterprisevpssolutions
    • Enterprise Vps Solutions
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:47 AM »
3rd party modules are one of the main reason people buy software so they can make custom modules. We all hope that kris can understand people will only buy software that is stable and the functions work. The hostbill community in the old forum had modules as well as language updates for this billing software, once that forum was taken down we lost both information and software that clients were still using. If and when he opens the doors again for 3rd party modules I would hope that we can build a community that supports and can upload all the working modules to the new forum.
Enterprise Vps Solutions (VPS) - Cloud Solutions, Shared hosting, VPS , and more, Fast Dedicated Servers. Great ssl prices SSL Certs, Follow us on Twitter. Sales Question? Contact us! Send us a Request Tampa , Florida Hivelocity Datacenter

Offline YesIHaveOne

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 05:06:40 AM »
Legally, I doubt he can do this if the ability exists, by this I mean if all one has to do is drop files into the folder structure and call an API he uses to make other modules operate.
Even covers the US, I believe there's a spat between a couple of software devs called Oracle and Google, where the API has been at issue and was found to be not covered by copyright.

Probably a restriction of trade too, esp if you were already selling addons that worked with hb.

Offline nibb

• Active Participant
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Legally, I doubt he can do this if the ability exists, by this I mean if all one has to do is drop files into the folder structure and call an API he uses to make other modules operate.
Even covers the US, I believe there's a spat between a couple of software devs called Oracle and Google, where the API has been at issue and was found to be not covered by copyright.

Probably a restriction of trade too, esp if you were already selling addons that worked with hb.

He can, he already remove files from Github and now the documentation regarding modules, requires client login.

What makes you think he will not remove hook, api, etc, in the future? Screwing of course my install and others with them that require this features. I do, in particular for Virtualmin and other things, I require hooks, the API, etc.

This was the main reason I purchased this software, not the fancy order pages, it was the wide and open developing documentation and features, and now it seems he want this gone as well.

If I wanted a boxed limited product I would have stayed with what I was using before, and hell, even that was almost all open code, only some parts where encoded. I went to Hostbill because the power it had, after reading the dev.hostbill.com

If it was not for that page, I would probably never had purchased his software and now it seems he thinks removing or limiting this features is a good idea.

Of course his idea of doing this is just STUPID, because Hostbill uses MYSQL, this means that every single things you do in Hostbill is in the database. You can read or modify absolutely everything and he cannot possibly stop that. Anything you install in your server, could read or modify your data. He can try to restrict his by forcing other people not wanting to sell for hostbill or breaching their contracts for people that purchased after May 26, but he canĀ“t really prevent anyone from developing his own module and reading that already belongs to you.

Hostbill is just an interface, you are still the owner of your server, and your data, and he cannot restrict how you access or manage this data. He just just making his software more limited and of less value with this and making people angry, and possible other companies will not ever develop a single thing for this software, again making the software null vs competition which can have this options.

The more I see his decision the more I convinced he is under candy. He must be taking some type of candy based in his bad decisions and his constant urgency for new money. Im hope im wrong, but there is no other logical explanations for some of his decisions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:20:21 PM by nibb »

Offline CBlade

• Active Participant
  • One man company
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »
Oh we need to worry alright. the vendor has provided many assurances and then done a 180 before - For example, and I don't have any screenshots handy at the moment, but one of the reasons why we purchased the software was because of the so-called thriving community of 3rd party developers and the promise of being able to customize the software.

It sounds like you haven't purchased the software [yet] @cblade, so just foshizzles and giggles, why don't you try posting a couple of questions in the pre-sales forums here and see what you reel in? ;)

Kindest regards,

Well i think best pre-sales ever is the reading the whole forum, real life problems with real business, i just dont figure out if i can live with all that bad things happened recently with hostbill, besides put my business in risk if Kris is so instable, i come everyday, and everyday i pray that Kris or whatever transform hostbill in a serious company, then i will buy it in 5 seconds...

Offline electric

• Active Participant
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »
i come everyday, and everyday i pray that Kris or whatever transform hostbill in a serious company, then i will buy it in 5 seconds...

Honestly, even if Kris posted a beautiful announcement apologizing for all the crazy decisions he's done, and he reversed his "no more 3rd party development" position, and he put the many Hostbill pieces back together....

... I would still not recommend anyone to purchase the software, nor would I dare use it myself in my own business.

Why not?  The answer is simple.  Kris has proven himself to be completely unreliable and untrustworthy.  I have zero confidence in anything he might say.  Zero.  Not one little tiny bit.

It would take at least 6 months to a year, of consistent changes and open/honest communication from Kris before I even begin to consider trusting him.

Trust is earned.  It is not something that I will give freely and quickly once it has been taken away or thrown away.  How does the saying go... "Fool me once, shame on me.  Fool me twice, shame on you."  Kris has made fools of his customers way too many times for me to turn around and "give him another chance".  I simply can't trust anything he does or says.  He certainly has the opportunity to prove me wrong, and I hope he does.  But it'll be at least 6 months to a year before I would consider putting my business into his hands. 

Offline topstarnetwork

• Skype - tatzianarose
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
Is anyone going to sew in court  KBKP Software S.C. for having scamed so many clients?
Aspecially for such fake and false statments regarding his terms and conditions for people who bought theire license before  KBKP Software S.C.  forbidded third party dustom modules an ddeleted all cusotm module wiki pages?

Offline lowprofile

• Active Participant
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
Is anyone going to sew in court  KBKP Software S.C. for having scamed so many clients?
Aspecially for such fake and false statments regarding his terms and conditions for people who bought theire license before  KBKP Software S.C.  forbidded third party dustom modules an ddeleted all cusotm module wiki pages?

We were close to do it, but we changed to whmcs and used the money and time there instead.
HostBill is dead. Don't trust Kris. Without exaggerating, Kris and his fellow changed their policy, terms, prices atleast 20 times. You have no rights.